• An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.
May 18, 2021

Veterans News

Remember Everyone Deployed


3 min read

After the Armistice, claims would arise as to which unit
could claim the distinction of firing the last round before the
Armistice. Canadian military authorities conducted an indepth examination to determine this officially after hostilities

All claims were finally laid to rest where in Mons, Belgium there was a
special ceremony held on 15 August 1919.
Two Canadian guns were presented to commemorate of the entry of
the Canadian Corps into the City of Mons on the 11th November 1915,

from the curator of the Mons
Military Museum. Hand written at
the bottom in blue ink Brigadier
General Stewart signed and
donated it to the 39th Battery.
What is unique about the certificate
it contains a number of names of
those gunners who were on the
guns and what actions were being
conducted. Every person has a story
to tell. But what voice is given to the
guns after the last wisp of smoke
leaves the barrel? This document is
a lasting tribute to their actions and
General Stewart is considered the
father of Artillery of Alberta by
raising the 25th Battery on 1 Feb

the Day of the Armistice and of the
termination of hostilities against
the Central Powers.
Lost History
In the Vimy Ridge Armoury in
Lethbridge, Alberta a framed
paper contains a typed single page
certified true copy of a document

The 18 Pounder Gun was returned to Canada on a long term bases. It was
featured as part of the War Museum “VICTORY 1918 – LAST 100 Days”
exhibit which ran from 26 October 2018 – 31 March 2019.

  1. He would go on to finish
    in the Artillery by commanding
    the Artillery of the 3rd Canadian
    Division at the end of WW1.
    He also had a unique relationship
    with Mons. He was in command
    of the armistice parade on 11 Nov
    1918 and ordered the general
    salute for General Currie. He
    developed warm friendships with
    people of Mons after the war and
    also had the prividge of returning
    to attend the 50th anniversary of
    Mons. During this trip he was made
    a “Citoyen de Honneur de Mons”
    joining one of four Canadians to be
    given this honour.
    After the war the City of Mons would
    go on to create a War Museum
    some eleven years later. Its first
    curator was George Licope. He
    saw the British enter Mons and the
    Canadian at the end of the war. He
    would go on to contact Canadians
    and build a picture of where all the
    units were as they liberated Mons.

At the beginning of WW2 MrLicope
recognized the need to save
the collection of the British and
Canadian artifacts. He would go on
to secure these precious items by
burying them close by.
A unique solution was needed
to preserve the Canadian guns.
Through his determination and
resolve he found a solution by
placing them in a small yard close
by the Museum and to hide them
in a huge pile of wood cut in small
pieces to feed the stove.Without
his actions, this rich part of our
Canadian Artillery and now Mon’s
heritage and history would be lost
for all time.

History on Display

The 18 Pounder Gun was
returned to Canada on a long
term bases. It was featured
as part of the War Museum
“VICTORY 1918 – LAST 100
Days” exhibit which ran from
26 October 2018 – 31 March

  1. The gun is currently
    located at the entrance to the
    indoor exhibits.

Canada is forever grateful to
MrLicope for his heroic efforts
and personal risk, in saving the
collections and both guns from
the Germans at the start of WW2.

Please follow and like us:

More Stories

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may have missed